Wednesday, July 29, 2009

English Bitter

For my fourth homebrew, I decided to brew a session beer meaning something light and easy to drink. A beer that can be drank by the 6pack, not one a night like my Maple Porter. For this beer I wanted something new but yet nothing complex. I choose between the cream ale and the English Bitter. The English Bitter won for no good reason at all. One of the posts below describes my "on deck" beers. It's really funny that this one was not on the list but is being brewed. It's funny what happens to a man in the brewstore when so many good looking beers are at an arms length. Anywho ... here are the highlights / lowlights

- The only mistakes that I made were 1) dropping some ice into the wort when making the ice bath and 2) losing my thermometer. I bought another one but it cost me 24 hours.

- I measured the OG for the first time. My OG was 1.038 which puts my estimated ABV a little under 4%. Not bad for a lighter beer.
- I decided not to use a primary and secondary fermenter. I simply put the wort into the carboy and pitched the yeast

- When transferring the wort into the carboy, I discarded the sludge of hops from the bottom of the pot. Next time I may even run the wort through a filter to capture the left over hops. I'm not sure if this will help clean up the beer or take away from the flavor

- I used the dry yeast packet and this time I rehydrated the yeast before pitching

- The morning after the boil, the fermenter was going nuts ... way more than I have ever seen (see video)



Update Aug 12th: Checked the SP today, 1.012. I think it is getting very close. the taste is good as well but needs conditioning.

Update Aug 16th: Sp measured at 1.008. The fermenter is still bubbling as well. Its been a very strange fermentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment