Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The IPA is bottled




Hi All,

Ben and Laura came over last night to help bottle the Octane IPA. While we were at it, we bottled the honey amber ale that I brewed a few weeks ago. Overall the process went smooth. We tasted both beers and I must say that we are in for some good drinking in a few weeks. The IPA was a little strong on the oak flavor but I think it will mellow with time. A very good beer. The honey amber had the least amount of flavor but should be perfect for some hot summer nights.
The biggest obstacle we ran into was that we didn't have enough bottles. I had to quickly wash and sterilize some 12oz bottles that I've been saving from some commercial brews.
2 more weeks and we’ll be drinking some good beers. Perfect timing to celebrate a new baby!

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, that going to be some good beer!!! The bottling went well, aside from me overflowing about 12 bottles. Which I did on purpose of course so we could sample the brew several times. I've now got several bottles in the basement, just inching along until the day I can open and enjoy. As soon as we get some time, Laura and I are going to get the honey heffa going (yes I abreviated because I'm terrible at spelling. And yes, I could look it up, but I'm also lazy. Does that make me a lazy bad speller? How embarrassing) So, thanks Mr. Shirley for organizing and doing a lot of the work for this brew. I can't .wait until we are trading brews like pogs....

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I can't .wait until we are trading brews like pogs...."

    nice pull Ben, nice pull

    ReplyDelete