Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Blueberry Infused Oatmeal Stout (BIOS)

Brewed another batch tonight. This time I wanted to try adding a blueberry twist to a beer since its blueberry season in MN. Nothing too heavy on the fruit. Just a subtile taste.

For the base beer, I used an oatmeal stout kit from Midwest. I will bottle 2 gallons and then run some experiments on the remaining three gallons. Here is what I plan to do:


Gallon 1) Add pure blueberry juice to the secondary (bought at the store)

Gallon 2) Add hand-squeezed blueberry juice to the secondary

Gallon 3) Add whole (crushed) blueberries to the secondary


Update: It's been over 4 months now and the 3 gallons are still in secondary containers. I've been a little busy with an addition on my house and I figured letting them sit in the secondary can't hurt much. However, it's time to bottle tonight (Jan 7th). Note that the original oatmeal stout was great

Update: Feb 15, 2010: Finally bottles the beer back in Jan . Sampled the three beers two weeks later ,,, ahhh not so good. I think the blueberry was a little strong. It may have been good with a stronger stout in the background. The oatmeal stout was a little sweet to begin with so the addition of blueberry was a little much. Will update later once I have a good chance to sample the beers and take good note (after lent is done)

OG: 1.40

No comments:

Post a Comment